Monday, April 6, 2009

trying not to complain about pregnancy

One of the things I didn't want to do with this blog is complain about how difficult I was finding pregnancy.  I think the main reason I am struggling with it is that I really had no idea pregnancy would be this difficult.  I expected the first 12-14 weeks to be a bit difficult (nausea and maybe throwing up occasionally) and then for it to get difficult again around 30-35 weeks (baby kicking too much to sleep, swollen hands/feet etc).  I did not expect, at 21 weeks, to be unable to sleep more than 3 hrs at a time due to painful hips, after which time i roll over to sleep on the other hip which inevitably starts Bub kicking again.  Nor did I expect to be attempting to sleep siting up by 3:30 am this morning cause the pain got too much, or getting up to eat breakfast a bit before 4:30 cause i was really hungry and starting to feel sick.  After a bit more sleep, making the decision to do my uni work from home today, eating a second breakfast and reading my Bible I realised that I didn't have things so bad after all and that I have much to be thankful for:
  • that i have the flexibility to do my uni work from home and thus could go back to bed for a bit rather than getting up at 5:45 am 
  • that i had a great weekend despite the difficulty sleeping (on Saturday Ron organised a surprise birthday lunch, in the evening we went to his cousin's engagement party and on Sunday we had a great afternoon/evening relaxing together and figuring out what we still needed to get for Bub's room.)
  • that I have a wonderful husband who makes it easy for me to rest when i need to by doing a large proportion of the housework and most of the cooking.
  • that my hips are only sore at night and not all day as well (so i can walk and sit up fine, I just can't sleep) which is a big improvement from others times i have had to cope with sore hips. 
  • there is probably a good reason for being hungry in the middle of the night
  • that Bub's kicks are stronger and that she (he?) seems to be healthy and growing properly
  • that my stomach can cope with drinking coffee again :-) (although very, very weak coffee compared with what i use to drink before we were trying to get pregnant)

1 comment:

Theakston Family said...

Sending sympathy your way - not sleeping is not fun :( it's all worth it, i promise!!!
Hope it gets better for you soon. xo